Wednesday, August 10, 2011

back-to-school crocheted apple scrubbie and dishcloth {free pattern}

Back-to-school fun continues this week! I fell in love with this little apple scrubbie pattern by Lion Brand, so I created a coordinating dishcloth pattern for a great fall or teacher gift. Isn't it adorable?
 

Here's the link to the crocheted apple scrubbie pattern. I used Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn in Red and Warm Brown, with Lion Brand's Cotton Ease yarn in Almond for the apple center and Lime for the leaf.
 

I stamped a quick "thanks so much" using the Tiny Tags set from Stampin' Up! (order here), and punched it with their Jewelry Tag punch. Then I clipped it on with a mini clothespin (like the ones I used here--I'm obsessed with them!).
 

Here it is in apple green. Or Lime to be exact. I used Lion Brand's Cotton Ease yarn in Lime for the green and Almond for the cream, and Lily's Sugar 'n Cream in Warm Brown for the stems and seeds.
 
If you want to make a cute dishcloth to go with it while practicing a new stitch, try my free Fall Apple Dishcloth pattern!
Fall Apple Dishcloth Pattern

Supplies:
*Small ball cotton yarn (about 100 yards)
*Size G crochet hook

Pattern stitch, Hdc Bud Stitch: (Hdc, ch 1, hdc), sk st, (hdc, ch 1 hdc) in next st across.

Row 1: Ch 37. (Hdc, ch 1, hdc) in 3rd ch from hk. Ch 1, hdc in same ch. [Sk 2 ch, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in next ch] to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 2: Sk 2 sts, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in next st, [sk next 2 sts, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in next st] to end. Ch 2, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until desired length (approx. 22 rows, or until it looks square).


Next you'll work scallops evenly around edges. Because you'll be working in the ends of rows, you won't necessarily have stitches to work in. Work them into the end of the rows and the spaces in between, approximating where the stitches would be. Experiment until the spacing looks right. You should have about 8 scallops on each side. I did not work a scallop around the corners, but you could if you wanted. Just add a couple of stitches to help it make the turn.

Edging: After finishing the last row, turn cloth 1/4 turn. Work 3 dc in 1st st, (sk 1 st, sl st next st, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st) to end of row. Turn 1/4 and continue scallops around remaining three sides. Fasten off.

Fold your discloth up and tie it with a cute ribbon, then tuck the apple scrubbie underneath and add a tag. Voila! A cute and thoughtful fall thank you gift!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “back-to-school crocheted apple scrubbie and dishcloth {free pattern}”

Mlissabeth said...

These are really cute patterns. I wonder if some will think that the finished products are too pretty to use, like my parents have of dishcloths I have made.

Pink Princess said...

CUTE ♥ I just made an apple dishcloth, and now going to make the matching scrubbie as well. Thanx ♥

the gathering girls said...

this is so adorable...my kids are grown and not in school, but this is so cute i think this would be nice for my neighbor who is a teacher...thanks!

homegrown countrygirl said...

These are so cute and useful, too. They would make nice gifts for anyone! Thank you for sharing this!

Gremma said...

Now isn't that the cutest thing?! I just *pinned* you! I love your blog!

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

These are really darling! I keep saying I NEED to learn how to crochet : )

Bethany said...

This is darling! Thank you so much for sharing this cute pattern--I can't wait to try it!

CrochetBlogger said...

Super cute sets!

Jamie said...

This is so cute! Thanks for the patterns. I was wanting to crochet something for the teachers I works with and this will be great!

Elle said...

Awesome pattern. Thanks so much for sharing!
(BTW Dishcloth is misspelled in the title)

Susan Cepin said...

Love it. Thanks!

Brandi said...

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if (in the square dishcloth pattern) when I ch. 2 at the end of the row then turn, if those two count as the ones I'm supposed to skip before starting the pattern stitch, or if I'm supposed to ignore the turning chain and skip the first two st. in the row? Thanks for sharing this pattern and again, I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs